Ghiaye ka kheer is one of the simplest and tastiest desserts to prepare. Ingredients for this kheer are also few and easily available in every kitchen
Ghiya 1 kg Milk 1 1/2 litre
Green Cardamom 4-5 Saffron
Cashew nuts Almonds
- Peel and grate the ghiya. Take care not to leave the raw grated ghiya outside for long otherwise it will turn brown.
- Slice almonds and cashew nuts.Keep some nuts whole for garnishing.
- Fry grated ghiya lightly.
- Add ghiya and boil the milk till it becomes thick. You can also use Khoya to thicken the milk.
- When done add sugar and boil till the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from fire add dry fruits, cardamom seeds and saffron.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature. Then put it in the fridge for an hour or so.
The kheer is ready to serve.
Garnish with saffron strands and almonds. Serve cold.
This is a seasonal pickle using green vegetables generally grown in winter months. It takes three to four days to mature and lasts for up to a week or so. It is pungent in taste due to use of mustard seeds and mustard oil. If kept for longer period, it becomes too sour.
The ingredients given below can be used for many combinations of vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, turnips, potatoes, radishes, flat beans, cluster beans etc.
Ajawain 1/2 tea spoon Mangrail 1/2 tea spoon
Haldi 1/2 tea spoon Red chili powder 1/2 tea spoon
Mustard seed powder 1 tea spoon Green chilies 4-5
Mustard Oil 3-4 table spoon Salt
Please see Glossary of terms for English names.
The above ingredients would be adequate for 1/2 kg of vegetables. The quantity of the ingredients may vary according to taste.
In the above photograph carrots, cauliflower, turnips and potatoes have been used.
- Boil, peel and cut the potatoes into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
- Cut other vegetables also to 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
- Slit the green chilies to half the length.
- Boil the vegetables till half cooked.
- Remove from fire and drain the water.
- Leave the vegetables to dry for 4-5 hours.
- Add all the ingredients and green chilies
- Add mustard seed powder. Although black mustard seeds would be preferable, yellow mustard seeds can also be used.
- Put them in a glass jar and keep in the sun for 3-4 days.
- Shake the jar twice or thrice a day so that all the ingredients get properly mixed with the vegetables.
This pickle goes with almost all Indian dishes.
Lemon Chicken is one preparation which is healthy, uses practically no spices and is very tasty.
Lemon Chicken ingredients
Chicken 1 kg Dalchini 2-3 1/2 sticks
Cloves 6-8 Green Cardamom 4- 6
Black cardamom 3-4 Tejpatta 2
Green chilies 2-3 Red chili powder
Black pepper whole 8-10 Coriander leaves
Cooking oil Salt
- Cut chicken into pieces of desired size.
- Slice green chilies through the middle up to half the length.
- Marinate with salt and 1 1/2 spoon lemon juice for fifteen minutes
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil.
- Add tejpatta broken into large pieces, dalchini,black cardamoms, green cardamoms and black pepper whole.
- When they start crackling add chicken and green chilies.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes.
- Cover and allow it to simmer on slow fire till almost cooked.
- Chicken will release its own juice.
- Keep checking from time to time to ensure that it does not burn. Add some water, if necessary.
- When cooked, removed from fire.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve. It can be eaten dry or with slight gravy. It goes very well with roti, paratha and puris. Dhania chutney is a good accompaniment with this dish.
- Lemon chicken