Gosht or Mutton Curry is the most common and popular mutton preparation. It is prepared in numerous ways. The recipe which I am giving below is one of the most simple ones.
The ingredients given below are for half a Kilogram of mutton. The front leg portion of the mutton is ideally suited for this preparation.
Gosht 1/2 kg Onion 4-5 medium
Garlic-ginger Paste 2 tea spoon Dhania powder 2 tea spoon
Haldi 3/4 tea spoon Red Chili powder 1/4 tea spoon
Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tea spoon Whole Pepper corn 4-5
Jeera 1/4 tea spoon Big Cardamom 2-3
Small cardamom 4-5 Cloves 4-5
Dalchini 3 1/2 stick Curd 1/2 cup
Bay leaves 2
Cooking oil 2-3 table spoon
- Wash and keep the mutton aside for about 10 minutes so that the water is drained out.
- Peel and chop the onions finely.
- Put a the pressure cooker on fire and put 2-3 spoons of oil,
- When the oil becomes hot add bay leaves, whole pepper, jeera, big cardamom. small cardamom, dalchini and cloves.
- When they start to crackle add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add red chili powder, haldi, dhania powder and ginger-garlic paste and fry.
- If the mixture appears too dry add one or two tea spoons of water.
- When the oil starts separating from the masala add curd and fry a little.
- When the masala is done add mutton and and salt and fry on slow fire till the oil starts separating.
- Add two and half cups of water and pressure cook for about 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from fire.
- When it cools down remove the pressure lid.
- Add garam masala powder and mix and give a boil.
The Gosht is ready .
Frying the masala and the mutton correctly is critical. Although any oil can be used, best results are obtained with ghee.
Garnish with chopped green dhania leaves and serve. It goes fabulously well with plain rice, pulao and rotis.