Ghiaye ka kheer is one of the simplest and tastiest desserts to prepare. Ingredients for this kheer are also few and easily available in every kitchen
Ghiya 1 kg Milk 1 1/2 litre
Green Cardamom 4-5 Saffron
Cashew nuts Almonds
- Peel and grate the ghiya. Take care not to leave the raw grated ghiya outside for long otherwise it will turn brown.
- Slice almonds and cashew nuts.Keep some nuts whole for garnishing.
- Fry grated ghiya lightly.
- Add ghiya and boil the milk till it becomes thick. You can also use Khoya to thicken the milk.
- When done add sugar and boil till the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from fire add dry fruits, cardamom seeds and saffron.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature. Then put it in the fridge for an hour or so.
The kheer is ready to serve.
Garnish with saffron strands and almonds. Serve cold.
The most common kheer is that of rice. I will be posting some other varieties of kheer also such as gajar ( carrot ) ka kheer, makhane ka kheer, sama rice kheer etc. Today I will write about one of my most favourite kheers viz. gajar ka kheer. It is highly appreciated by my guests also. Unfortunately, this kheer can be prepared only in winter as proper variety of gajar is available in winter only – at least in India.
- Carrots 1/2 kg
- Milk 1 litre
- Custard powder 1 tea spoon
- Sugar 1/2 cup or according to taste
- Cashew nuts 10 t0 12
- Almonds 10 t0 12
- Ghee or butter 2 tea spoons
- It is important to select red and tender carrots
- Wash and peel the carrots.
- Grate medium.
- Chop cashew nuts and almonds
- Put a kadai on fire and add ghee
- Saute the grated carrots.
- Add sauted carrots to milk and boil it till it becomes thick – say till it becomes 2/3rd.
- Add sugar and cook for 2 t0 3 minutes.
- Mix custard powder in 1/2 cup of cold milk or water, ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Add the custard mixture to milk slowly and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove from fire and allow it to cool.
- Pour in a serving bowl and put it in the fridge for about 1/2 hr. or so.
- Take out from fridge
- Spread the chopped nuts and serve.
Serve cold as after dinner dessert. I am sure you will like it. It is tasty as well as healthy.